Tuesday, August 01, 2006

here we go again

Monday night, exactly 1.5 hours after dinner, and Piper has hives. The only new thing, garbanzo beans (chick peas...whatever). True... it could be a miraculous coincidence...it could be related to the vaccines she had 2 weeks ago... the doctor said she could have a reaction upto 2 weeks later... but come on... in perfect timing with eating dinner??? Somehow I think not. So it looks like we have another food allergy on our hands. Definately wasn't prepared for this one...was prepared for growing out of the egg allergy in a few months... was not prepared for adding an additional allergy to the mix. Unfortunately garbanzo beans are in the same food family (and likely to have cross allergic reactions) with peanuts, black eyed peas, soy beans, and other legumes... Have you ever read the labels on food? EVERYTHING has soy in it. Everything. I have currently made the assumption that she does not have a cross allergy to soy, since the oatmeal she's been eating since day 1 has soy oil in it.... but that's just an assumption.

The allergist should call this week with the egg allergy blood test results (what torture that was...she was hoarse from screaming so much; I felt like Mother of the Year again when the bruises from the lab tech holding her arm appeared), and will ask him if he wants us to come in for garbanzo bean testing. Really there's no real point at this point. We have the epi pen, the only "solution" if she is allergic is to not give her garbanzo beans... which I think I can do without the hour long doc appt and the $35 copay.

Another note... please keep us in your thoughts... Dan might be losing his job. Not through any fault of his own of course. The short story:
Dan was IT at Lincoln. Lincoln outsourced it's IT to IBM. Dan is IT at IBM for Lincoln. Lincoln merges with JP. JP hates IBM. Lincoln doesn't renew contract with IBM. Therefore, Dan will (most likely) not work for Lincoln any more. Not a big deal... IBM will find him another position... until... all IT in the US (for the most part) is being outsourced to India, because they can pay 5 people in India the same amount they pay 1 tech in the US (the same way all our manufacturing was lost to China, etc.). So most companies are going that route. Which means within the next 5 years or so, Dan's out of a job. Period. Not a very positive prospect.

Which means, in a few years... I am definately going to have to get a full time teaching position, so that Dan can train for a new job. Nothing like being on track for a good paying job, and having it swiped out from under you...I feel really bad for all the US IT workers at the moment... since most companies are jumping on this bandwagon. Some companies have come back to using US employees after getting hundreds of thousands of complaints from customers re: their tech help not speaking english... but that's only some companies.

OK off my soap box LOL

If you haven't seen it yet, the new ScrapMommies Designers Mega Kit is out, called Surf's Up, and it's AMAZING

Nothing new from me recently... working working working

As Karen so diligently reminded me in chat the other day, summer is almost over, my classes start back on Aug 28th. Oh and it looks like I didn't get the half-time job I applied for. Technically I haven't heard NO yet, but I also didn't get invited to interview last week, when they were theoretically interviewing people. Too bad... we could have used the money, that's for sure.

Sorry to be a downer... just been a rough 24 hours...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Maria! What an all around bummer of a day! Sorry about Piper's allergy - goodness I hope she grows out of these allergies fast! Can't they do an all around allergy blood panel for her or do they not do those for little ones.

Also sorry to hear about Dan's job. Nothing like insecurity to stir up the nerves etc. I'll be thinking of you all!

(((hugs)))

1:35 PM  
Blogger Maby said...

Wow. what a day. DH and I both have a FT and a PT and we have days that we struggle and it just plain sux. Sorry to hear about Piper's allergy. I hope she outgrows this too.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Oh,Maria. So sorry to hear that Dan may lose his job. I'll be praying for you guys!

Sorry about Piper's newest allergy that really sucks. Aaron has suffered from allergies since he was a baby, but not food allergies. When he was 1 we did a blood allergy test (which was only airborne items) and he was allergic to all of them.

hugs,
Nikki

2:43 PM  
Blogger slkone said...

I'm so sorry, Maria! Sounds like a rough day. I hope it gets better for you soon!

2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bummer about the job - I can totally relate - I was in a similar field and found I just couldn't compete with offshore and I really couldn't deal with people coming back to me wanting to fix their "cheap" solutions...

Good luck :)

10:47 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

:* I hope Piper is better and you, too. And, have you heard anything about Dan's job yet? I hate dealing with all the off-shore customer service people and it's scary how many companies are doing that. It's going to rise up to bite them in the butt if they aren't careful.

I've tagged you on my blog. Show your blog some love, girlfriend. :)

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to thank you for using my kit for the article in ready set create! I think this is the first time that someone had used one of my kits in a publication and I am so so so happy that it was someone who I know! Miss you guys at Scrapmommies so much and so sorry to hear about the site closing! You can always hop on over to Liddy's Loft and join in there!
Thanks again!
Kryss

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home